Best Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars – Reviews with Buying Guide
Mountain biking is, in fact, one of the most engaging hobbies and no wonder why so many people opt for it. But opting for such a hobby may cause a setback in the pocket. If the budget binds one, selecting the perfect mountain bike matters the most because budget limits a lot of factors. With different brands of mountain bikes available on the market, finding the best mountain bikes under 1000 Dollars becomes quite tough and confusing.
To do away with all the confusion below is a list of mountain bikes that fits the budget perfectly while providing features that are perfect for a range of users. These products are picked from a list spreading thousands according to their specs and user reviews. So, one can expect good value for money from these products.
- 1 List of Top Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars
- 2 Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hardtail Complete Mountain Bike
- 3 Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike (Black)
- 4 Diamondback Recoil 29er Mountain Bike
- 5 Diamondback Bicycles Recoil 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- 6 Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er Mountain Bike – Nashbar Exclusive
- 7 Montague Paratrooper Mountain Folding Bike (Matte Cammy Green)
- 8 Diamondback Bicycles Recoil Complete Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- 9 Beiou Toray T700 Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike
- 10 Gravity FSX 29 One Dual Suspension Mountain Bike Shimano Deore 27 Speed
- 11 Diamondback Bicycles Line Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike
- 12 Things One Needs to Consider Before Buying Best Mountain Bikes
- 13 How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike?
List of Top Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars
Mounting on a bike requires lots of trusts. You trust that the bike will carry your weight. You trust that the bike will remain upright. You trust that it won’t break unceremoniously thereby rendering your excursion a failure. And to have this level of trust, you need the right bike. Diamondback has got all these angles covered. That’s why they feature exceptionally in our list of the best mountain bikes under 1000. With their spectacular Sorrento Hardtail mountain bike, they ensure they deliver quality and reliability all rolled up into one fantastic product.
Having a choice of three different sizes, Diamondback ensure everyone can enjoy the pleasures of riding this amazing bike. It comes in a small- 16-inch size, medium and large sizes. Each is strong enough to handle the outdoor adventures you have in store for the Sorrento.
The wheels on the medium and large variations are a magnificent 27.5 inches. And we know that’s just the way you like it. These generously sized wheels are strong enough to carry you through rough terrains, easily rolling over stones and roots. But when you’re on a smooth road, they glide as if in the air, smoothly chewing up the asphalt.
Holding every part of this bike together is the 6061-T6 heat treated aluminum alloy frame. Let me explain what this kind of aluminum is. It’s a precipitation hardened alloy that presents a much stronger quality than normal aluminum. It’s great for mechanical applications being quite easy to weld. Now, using this alloy on the Sorrento Hardtail means unmatched durability. Whether you push the bike to its utmost limit or ride it in a sedated nature, the aluminum alloy ensures the bike retains its appealing aesthetic.
Then, with Shimano 7 speed derailleurs and shifters attached, expect a responsive and reliable shifting experience. Shimano works so intuitively. You select the desired gear on the handlebars, and the derailleurs instinctively respond to your order. You’ll notice an instantaneous change in the ride as the bike adjusts its drivetrain to suit the selection. So whether you’re going up a steep hill or descending the same hill, the Shimano derailleurs will show up just in time to adjust the ride and make your experience a lot more pleasurable. And when you need to come to a halt, the linear pull brakes efficiently stop the bicycle for you.
Features at a Glance
- The Sorrento Hardtail mountain bike has its frame made out of the durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy which is capable of withstanding vigorous riding.
- Three different sizes available for this bike, everyone can enjoy the riding experience of the Sorrento.
- Having 27.5-inch wheels in the medium and large means this Diamondback bicycle is capable of surmounting most obstacles presented to it on the terrain.
- For reliable shifting, the bike is fitted with the Shimano derailleurs and shifters.
- The linear-pull brakes bring the mountain bike from top speed to no speed within a few seconds.
Diamondback doesn’t rest on their laurels. They constantly design and manufacture quality bikes. This time, we have the Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail mountain bike. And it certainly deserves to be in this list of the best mountain bikes under 1000. It has the tried and true 6061-T6 aluminum alloy frame. Being able to weld easily, this alloy ensures every piece of the frame joins neatly to the next, creating this masterpiece that holds all other parts of the bike together. Then, when you do go out, pushing this bike to its limit won’t deter the bike from taking you where you want to go. The 6061 aluminum is highly durable and ensures the Overdrive stands the test of time.
We know you’ll be riding on rough terrain. That’s what mountain bikes are made for. Diamondback knows this as well and has designed a bike perfect for this kind of ride. The overdrive has impressive 29inch wheels. These wheels are unperturbed by obstacles. They don’t cower from rough terrains. Whenever you encounter a tree root on your path, the 29-inch wheels will effortlessly roll over it. And if it encounters tiny rocks, it’ll simply go over them as well. The wheels underscore the bicycle’s rugged pedigree.
Keeping the ride bearable is the state of the art Suntour suspension fork. The bumpier the terrain gets, the more the suspension adjusts to ensure you remain as comfortable as possible. The fork absorbs the discomfort, so you don’t have to. And when you’re on asphalt and don’t need them, you can adjust the suspension to stiffen as you speed off on the smooth road.
Still, the suspension forks don’t work alone. As Diamondback always do, they have fitted the amazing Shimano 8 speed drivetrain in the Overdrive. So, if you’re on a beaten track, there’s going to be a perfect gear for the terrain. If you’re ascending, simply select the appropriate gear and the Shimano will respond reliably, making the ascent easier. The 8-speed drivetrain adjusts instinctively as you select the gear on the handle. Everything works like clockwork, all to give you an enjoyable riding experience.
To keep you in total control, the Overdrive has Tektro mechanical disc brakes which can bring you to a halt in a matter of seconds. And we know the difference between an accident and a close shave is only a few seconds. With these mechanical brakes, you could be at a staggering speed in on minute, only to ground to a halt in the next, avoiding possible injuries in the process.
Features at a Glance
- The frame of the Overdrive is made of the hardwearing 6061-T6 aluminum alloy.
- With 29 inch wheels, this bike is capable of surmounting most obstacles with ease.
- The Suntour suspension fork ensures the ride remains comfortable even in rough terrain.
- The Shimano drivetrain in this mountain bike ensures there’s an appropriate gear for whatever riding situation you’re in.
- Keeping you safe and in control is the Tektro mechanical disc brakes that work efficiently to bring the bike and you to a stop when need be.
The beautiful curve of the tube. The spectacular large wheels. This bike makes a statement and is for those who are bold and outgoing. Diamondback gives us another outdoor machine; the Diamondback Recoil 29er Mountain Bike. And just as its name suggests, it has 29-inch wheels. These wheels give the bike a confident mien. They raise the Recoil to assume an assertive stance. You just have to trust that it can handle any situation in the rugged path you’ll take it. And it does. The wheels aren’t easily perturbed by obstacles. They will gracefully climb over them and still maintain a good comfortable ride.
Working with these wheels to keep the ride smooth is the Suntour XCT suspension fork. As you ride along the rough and bumpy path, the Suntour XCT will work hard to absorb as much of the discomfort as it possibly can. And it does this with gusto, keeping your ride bearable. This fork provides 100 mm of effortless shock absorption. Working in cahoots with it is the rear suspension that munches up the bumps from rocks and tree roots that you’re most likely going to come across.
You still have a say on how the ride feels like. The trusted Shimano 3 X 8-speed drivetrain hands you the power to select from the available 24 gears at your disposal. Make the shift and the front and rear derailleurs respond to transform your ride almost intuitively. All parts of the drivetrain work together to deliver a smooth ride no matter the terrain. Then, when you want to come to a stop, the Tektro Aires mechanical braking system responds at your command. These brakes are so efficient that they deliver a similar response in all weather conditions. Whether you’re reducing speed or coming to a complete halt, the Texters will keep you in total control.
Features at a Glance
- The Diamondback Recoil has the durable and reliable 6061-T6 aluminum frame to ensure strength even in the harshest of conditions.
- This aluminum also keeps the overall weight of the bike down since it’s a lightweight material.
- With 29 inch wheels, the Recoil is perfect for riding in rough terrain.
- Diamondback also included the Suntour XCT suspensions that keep the ride smooth.
- The bike has the Shimano drivetrain which presents 24 gears, each ideal for a given riding situation.
- Keeping you in control are the Tektro Aires mechanical brakes which work under all weather conditions.
Diamondback Bicycles Recoil 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bike is another best one from Diamondback, which has got a surge in feature list and provided the best of everything. The 6061-T6 aluminum alloy body frame with tubing design makes the bike lightweight yet sturdy and durable enough for extreme rugged usage. The front and dual suspensions are at the place for making the rides as much comfortable as possible.
Riding on rough terrains means control of speed that is taken care of by Shimano 24 speed gearbox with front and rear derailleur. 29-inch wheels provide better grips and speed while the safety lists check the box for Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes at both front and rear of the bike.
Features at a Glance
- Light and durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy body frame impart both strength and durability while butted tubing reduces weight.
- SR Suntour XCT front suspension fork supplied has a 100mm travel and rear suspension with the 4-inch coil.
- Equipped with 24 speed Shimano rapid shift gear with front and rear derailleur.
- Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes are present on both front and rear.
- The 29-inch wheels provide a better gripping, speed and maximizing grip in rugged terrains.
The Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er is a perfect bike for entry level biking enthusiasts. Equipped with a lightweight aluminum alloy frame, this bike consists of features that make it one of the best buys among its customers.
Equipped with SR Suntour XCR-LO suspension fork, it has 100 mm of travel to make rough rides, comfortable as ever. The 27-speed shifting capability comes to play while fine tuning control on flat and rough terrains.Safety can never be compromised, so the front and rear breaks sports a brilliant set of Shimano hydraulic disc brakes while the 29-inch wheels with improved rims provide better traction, speed and movement across a variety of terrain conditions.
Features at a Glance
- The light and durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy body frame impart both strength and durability to the bike for rough terrain rides.
- SR Suntour XCR-LO suspension fork supplied has a 100mm travel for smoothing out the bumps and also can be adjusted for user comfort.
- Shimano Altus shifters with Shimano Acera rear derailleur provides a 3×9 drivetrain with all 27-speed gears available for adjusting speedy rides.
- Safety is provided by front and rear Shimano hydraulic disc brakes.
- 29-inch wheels provide for better gripping, speed and maximizing grip in rugged terrains.
Montague Paratrooper Mountain Folding Bike (Matte Cammy Green)
The Montague Paratrooper Mountain Folding Bike is one of its kinds. The design was conceptualized for deployment on the battlefield for paratroopers. The built quality one can expect from this kind of design is obviously unquestionable. Within 20 second its can be fold in 36?x28?x12 size.
The bike sports a very lightweight body and super durability by its minimalized but compact frame. This bike sports 27-speed gears for fine tuning control and also 26-inch wheels enhance maneuverability across various terrains. To add to the safety factor, this bike comes with mechanical brakes and front and rear.
Features at a Glance
- Lightweight body with only 30 pounds in weight and designed for ultra-compact portability.
- This bike can be folded in under 20 seconds without the use of tools.
- 27-speed gears for ultimate fine control of riding speeds according to the terrain.
- Front and rear wheels are provided with disc brakes for the rider’s ultimate safety.
- It comes with 26-inch wheels for the extra boost in control and hence increases in better riding ability.
The Diamondback Recoil Complete Full Suspension Mountain Bike sports great build quality and yet comes at quite an affordable price. The sturdy aluminum body frame revolves around an optimized single pivot design platform that offers sturdiness and allows for a great dual suspension design.
It is provided with front Suntour suspension fork with 100mm travel and coil rear shock with 4-inch travel with oil damping; the bike offers great comfort on rough terrain rides. Since wheel size matters a lot, the MTB sports 27.5-inch wheel size for superb maneuverability and speed pickups.
Safety is further enhanced with Tektro Aires dual mechanical disc brakes. When design, usability and other factors are concerned, this one from Diamondback is one of the best mountain bikes under $1000.>>> This Bicycle Not Available at This Time but You can Check Specifications, Customer Reviews & Rating by Clicking Here <<<
Features at a Glance
- Aluminum frame with single pivot design made of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy renders strength and durability while keeping overall weight, low.
- Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes are present on both front and rear.
- 27.5-inch wheel size gives extreme maneuverability, compactness and ease of ride.
- Equipped with Suntour XCM suspension, the front suspension fork has got 100 mm of travel. This also comes with preloaded adjustments to fine tune one’s weight to fit the requirements.
- Coil shock provided with 4 inches of travel with oil damping.
- 24-speed gear control with Suntour triple chain ring crank and eight cog cassette.
Coming in, right at the edge of the best mountain bikes under 1000 list is the premium quality BEIOU Toray T700. This can perhaps be categorized as a superbike. It’s made of a carbon fiber frame. Carbon fiber is a preferred material in making luxury car bodies. And here we are with a mountain bike under 1000 with the same build. But that’s not the only cause, and we love it. Carbon fiber is also a highly durable yet lightweight material. It gives the bike a durability that’s not found on other bikes in this list. It also grants you the capacity to push it to its maximum speed.
Keeping you moving are the 26-inch wheels. These are attached to the hydraulic suspension forks. What this collaboration does, is they provide a smooth ride as you race along on rough terrain. The suspension forks will absorb the bumps as the ample wheels will simply roll over the stones, pebbles and rocks with ease. You, on the other hand, remain comfortably perched on the saddle.
As you race along, there’ll come a time when you’ll need to come to a complete halt in an instant. To ensure you remain at the top of this, the Toray has a mechanical wire disc brake system that is known for its reliability in dry or wet conditions. Just by pulling on the brake levers on the handles, the bike immediately responds and alters the speed to keep you in total control.
And, of course, this wouldn’t be a proper mountain bike without the right drivetrain. BEIOU have also done this properly. They’ve gone for the popular Shimano drivetrain system. And Shimano isn’t popular for nothing. This system provides 24 gear speed selections that work responsively on your shift command. Whether you’re ascending or descending or even on flat ground, you’ll find the ride to be spectacular thanks to the Shimano.
Features at a Glance
- The Toray T700’s frame is made of the premium carbon fiber material which offers both durability and lightweight qualities.
- With a wheel diameter of 26 inches, you’ll be able to ride over rough terrain with ease.
- Also ensuring a smooth ride is the hydraulic fork suspension that absorbs shocks from the rugged path.
- The bike has a mechanical wire disc braking system that reliably helps you to keep the bike under control.
- With the popular Shimano drivetrain, you’re able to select from the 24 gear speeds and adjust the bike according to the terrain.
Among the entry level mountain bikes, the Gravity FSX 29 hits the list of “best selections” right away. The body frame is built with durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy with hydroformed tubes that are both lightweight and extremely durable. Along with the single pivot design of the frame, Gravity FSX 29 One Dual Suspension Mountain Bike comes with a dual suspension setup that reeves up the comfort factor quite some notches.
The Shimano 27 speed gears play an important role in fine tuning the control at speeds over rugged terrains. While everything seems to be perfect, the 29-inch wheels add to the list to make it more attractive than ever. All in all, a brilliant entry level full suspension mountain bike under the $1000 budget.
Features at a Glance
- Made with light and durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy, the body frame imparts both strength and durability to the bike design.
- The suspension includes adjustable rear coil over cartridge (includes Lockout Feature) and front suspension with the lockout feature.
- Gear selection offers 27 different speed selections with Shimano gears with the front derailleur.
- Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes take care of safety factors while riding muddy and rough terrains.
- 29-inch tires ride on strong double walled stainless steel rims that are ready for extreme and rugged usage.
Diamondback Bicycles Line Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike comes under the list of mountain bikes under $1000 but, in performance, this bike can compete with those in the $1000 range. The lightweight body is made of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy, light and durable with single front suspension design.
The front suspension is a Suntour 120mm adjustable suspension fork that can easily take on rugged terrains with comfort. With the advantage of 1×9 gears, this is simple to operate, yet gives enough control for every type of city and off road rides. The wheels display 27.5-inch tires with 2.35-inch width, which provides ultimate control and maneuvering.
The safety factor is taken care of by dual hydraulic disk brakes from Tektro flaunting 180mm and 160mm rotors for front and rear wheels respectively.
Features at a Glance
- Light and durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy body frame with low center of gravity for better balancing while rough riding.
- Suntour front suspension fork with adjustable 120mm of travel.
- Nine-speed gear selection with SRAM 1×9 drive train for speed control.
- Tektro hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm and 160mm rotors at the front and rear wheels respectively.
- 27.5 inch x 2.35-inch tires renders excellent traction, agility and maneuverability without any loss in speed pickups.
Things One Needs to Consider Before Buying Best Mountain Bikes
Before buying a mountain bike, one needs to consider few things. These will not only help in prioritizing a choice but will also help in pinpointing the required features. The large choice of products in the market may confuse a buyer. The below points will help one decide easily.
Decision for use is of utmost importance. Using a mountain bike for city rides and occasional off-roading is a common choice for users. For this kind of use, having dual suspension with dual disc brakes are not a necessity. At the same time is someone is purchasing a mountain bike for serious off-roading activities having the features mentioned here becomes a necessity. This can attract additional costing where budget may increase.
This is one of the main factors behind making a selection. The more the budget is, one can expect better quality and features. Buying the best mountain bike $1000 will be easier since the budget is static here and all the bikes mentioned above comes with some of the best features and does not exceed the selected price range.
Body Build and Quality
Since mountain bikes can be used for many factors, the choice of build and weight does matter. Some bikes are made of metal alloys that are heavier than aluminum alloy bikes. Carbon fiber bikes are the lightest in bike category but also fetch way above the $1000 price range so that this choice can be eliminated. But within this $1000 price tag, several bikes offer durable, tough and yet lightweight build quality. It is always good to remember that with rising price, comes betterment in quality and features.
How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike?
Choosing the Best Mountain Bike that can fulfill one’s own set of requirements can be a hassle. This guide can make things easier to understand and thus helping in selecting the perfect bike:
What are the Riding Requirements?
One needs to consider what he/she will be using the bike for. There are two types of mountain bikes available. First is the hard trail mountain bike. This bike has suspension in the only front wheel. It is perfect for use on a daily basis city riding, occasional off-roading and other less rough usage. This is a perfect getaway bike for people who love to ride the streets with weekend fun. It’s lighter, simple and comes with a lower budget.
Next comes the full suspension bikes. These have suspension at both the front and rear wheels. Of course, these are a little heavier but offers the most comfortable ride on rough terrains. These are perfect for beginner professionals and serious hobbyists.
What Frame size and frame built is appropriate?
The frame is the main structure of the body. Frames are available in Aluminum, other metal alloys and carbon fiber. Aluminum has the advantage of being both lighter and strong while other metal alloys can be durable but on the heavier side of weighing scale. Carob fiber is very strong and ultra-light but fetches a higher budget which may exceed far above the $1000 price range.
Different people have different frame size requirement that depends on the height of the users; here is a Guide on How to Fit Yourself on a Mountain Bike Perfectly. And the below list will help one choose the perfect frame size needed according to body proportions:
4ft to 5.3ft – 13 inches to 15 inches
5.3ft to 5.7ft – 15 inches to 17 inches
5.7ft to 5.11ft – 17 inches to 19 inches
5.11ft to 6.2ft – 19 inches to 21 inches
6.2ft to 6.4ft – 21 inches to 23 inches
6.4 ft and above – 23 inches and above
What wheel size is appropriate?
Wheel size is directly proportionate to how easy and fast one can accelerate and maneuver his / her bike. With increasing wheel size, maneuverability and control decrease while speed increases because, with each pedal, the wheel covers more area since the wheel size increases. Also, having the perfect wheel size can be a question of comfort. Below is a list of wheel sizes available with their respective mode of perfect usage conditions:
Riding conditions: Smooth roads and rough terrains.
24 inches –This size is very easy to control and maneuver but less speed.
26 inches –This size has good control and normal speed.
27.5 inches – Best size for perfect maneuverability, control and speed.
29 inches –Used in high-speed bikes but harder to control on rough terrain.
What types of brakes?
The brake system is available in two types: Rim brakes and disc brakes. Rim brakes are easy to maintain and work with but they are not efficient in muddy or wet conditions. While disc brakes are very efficient and provide higher safety than rim brakes but harder to service.
What about the gears?
Mountain bikes offer the choice of gear selection which ranges from as low as 18 speeds to even 27 speeds and more. Gears offer variation in speed as well as control when trekking on rough terrains where one needs to control the speed of descent rapidly.
While mountain biking may be a hobby or a casual time pass for people, it is important to note that finding the right bike is a serious matter. User comfort and getting the intended usage from the bike depends on the selection of the right bike. This is the reason one needs to research and make up their mind about the choice.
It is impossible to select through an inventory of a couple of hundreds and more bikes available. The above article will not only narrow down the selection but is also a guide for choosing what one might need for fulfilling their biking requirement.
The above bikes have been selected from a huge list and are among the best mountain bikes under 1000 Dollars that gives the most value for money and also rated higher by the users of the bikes.