Best Mountain Bike Brake Cable Review with Buying Guide
When bicycles were first invented, they had no brakes. It is hard to imagine this but first riders must have gone through a lot to make their bikes stop. Fast forward a couple of centuries, it is impossible to imagine a mountain biking adventure without the Brake Cable.
- Reviews of the Best Mountain Bike Brake Cable
- 1. Shimano Universal Standard Brake Cable Set
- 2. Bike Brake Cable Stainless Steel Wire Set ( Housing + Cables) for Mountain Bicycle
- 3. Hotop 2 Set Mountain Bike Brake Cable Gear
- 4. Jagwire Hyper DIY Brake Cable Kit
- 5. Zicome 2m Long Bicycle Bike Replaceable Brake Cable and Silver Alloy Cable Cap End Tip Crimp Set
- 6. Schwinn SW76193-4 Brake and Derailleur Cable Repair Set
- 7. Sunlite Lined Brake Cable Housing, 5mm x 50ft
- 8. XLC Brake Cable & Housing, Universal Black
- 9. Wolfride Universal Bike Bicycle Brake Cable and Housing Set
- 10. Sram SlickWire Mountain Bicycle Brake Cable Kit
- How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike Brake Cable?
- How To Replace A Bicycle Brake Cable?
Brake cables consist of 2 parts that work together so you can stop your MTB whenever you need to. The inner part is made up of some kind of braided wire while the outer part is the housing. Over time and with repeated use, brake cables get frayed, stretched or damaged. This is why it is important to be very careful when you are looking for good brakes replacement. Here’s the quick answer for your selection,
List of Top 10 Mountain Bike Brake
- Shimano Universal Standard Brake Cable Set
- Bike Brake Cable Stainless Steel Wire Set
- Hotop 2 Set Mountain Bike Brake Cable Gear
- Jagwire Hyper DIY Brake Cable Kit
- Zicome 2m Long Bicycle Bike Replaceable Brake Cable
- Schwinn SW76193-4 Brake and Derailleur Cable
- Sunlite Lined Brake Cable Housing
- XLC Brake Cable & Housing, Universal Black
- Wolfride Universal Bike Bicycle Brake Cable
- Sram SlickWire Mountain Bicycle Brake Cable Kit
There are a lot of products on the market and this makes the selection process even more challenging. Low-quality brakes can jeopardize your safety and that of others when you are on a challenging trail. This is why we prepared this article to help you find the most durable and reliable cable brakes for your MTB.
Reviews of the Best Mountain Bike Brake Cable
Maintaining your MTB is crucial for your safety. It is also the best thing to make sure that your mountain bike will last for long. In this section, you will find detailed reviews of the best bike cables and housing that you can install on your mountain bike. All you have to do is to read carefully and pick the one that you find most appropriate.
1. Shimano Universal Standard Brake Cable Set
This is the best road bike cable kit that can fit almost any mountain or road bike on the market. The cable features both ends because it is a high-quality universal cable. The kit features sturdy and durable stainless steel wire that is very sturdy and will provide smooth movement. This wire is also corrosion resistant so you know that your cable will last for long.
This is a complete set for your front and rear brakes. They are going to transfer the movement to the wheels to stop your bike effortlessly. These are the best cables to depend on whether you are commuting or traveling on a challenging trail.
This is a complete set that comes with everything you’ll need to guarantee the best brakes’ performance. It includes the end caps and ferrules. The housing is lined with slick polymer shield that will prevent excessive friction. It assists with the cable movement and guarantees that you won’t have to worry about replacing your cable for a very long time.
- Universal brake cable that works for road bike and MTBs.
- Comes with both ends and the needed end caps and ferrules.
- Comes with a durable housing.
- Easy to install.
- Corrosion- resistant.
- Cutting a clean end is a bit difficult if you don’t have the professional tools.
- You might need more ferrules.
2. Bike Brake Cable Stainless Steel Wire Set ( Housing + Cables) for Mountain Bicycle
This is a complete cable kit for front and rear brakes that will make your mountain bike stop on the spot. It is very affordable, yet it is designed to last for long because everything is very well made. If you are looking for a budget-friendly brake cable, then this is definitely a good one to pick.
The best thing about this kit is the fast and straightforward installation. You don’t need any special tools and you don’t have to hit the bike shop if you want to have your cables replaced. The cable is made of durable and highly-resistant stainless steel. It is designed to resist corrosion due to excessive friction and will stop smoothly. The housing is made of PVC and steel and will maintain the condition of your cable.
This is a great cable for people who like to do their own maintenance. It is durable, functional and can be installed in a few minutes. Installing this brake set to your MTB will allow you to ride safely even on the roughest trails.
- Durable stainless steel cable.
- Affordable price.
- Housing made of PVC and steel.
- Smooth operation and corrosion resistant.
- Very fast installation.
- The end caps don’t offer a very tight fit.
3. Hotop 2 Set Mountain Bike Brake Cable Gear
If you are looking for the best MTB gear cables then this set should be on your list. It is made of high-quality aluminum and silicone that will provide smooth operation. Thanks to these cables, your MTB will stop instantly the minute you hit the brakes whether you are traveling on an upward or downward hill.
This set contains cables that work for front and rear brakes and comes at an affordable price. The brake cables come with the needed ends that will protect them from corrosion and wear. This guarantees that your cables will last for long. The set also contains 4 pieces of gear shift cables. It is great value for the money. The whole kit is designed to fit all mountain bikes and can be installed in a few minutes.
This set is designed for superb performance and maximum durability. The cables come with 24 donuts that will protect from the grind lacquer. All the cables can be cut to fit your needs. They are very easy to use.
- A complete set that contains different cables.
- All cables are made of aluminum and silicone for smooth operation.
- Comes with cable ends to protect your cables from wear and tear.
- Comes with donuts.
- Cables can be easily cut.
- No housing is included.
4. Jagwire Hyper DIY Brake Cable Kit
These are great brake cables for mountain biking enthusiasts who like to do their own maintenance. They even come with the end caps installed for fast and error-free installation. They come with a comprehensive set of instructions to walk you through the whole process.
The cables are designed to fit front and rear brakes. They will move smoothly as they are made to resist excessive friction. They are made of stainless steel that doesn’t show any signs of wear even when you use them for years. This means that you can go on your mountain biking trip whenever you want to without worrying about the safety of your MTB. There are different colors to fit every mountain bike.
These amazing Jagwire cablescan be cut for the perfect fit. Cutting them is very easy and doesn’t require any special tools or a trip to the bike shop. They fit great and work for different mountain and road bikes. If you are looking for a fast and reliable response then you won’t go wrong with these cables.
- Great brake cables for mountain and road bikes.
- Suitable for DIY enthusiasts.
- Stainless steel construction.
- Preinstalled end caps.
- Come with detailed instructions.
- No housing is included.
- The internal part of the cable contains plastic that can get deformed if you are not careful with cutting them.
5. Zicome 2m Long Bicycle Bike Replaceable Brake Cable and Silver Alloy Cable Cap End Tip Crimp Set
We all want high-quality products that are also great value for the money. This set features 10 high-quality alloy cables in addition to 20 cable caps. They are all made of a durable alloy that is designed to withstand rough performance.
The cables are made of stainless steel that resists wear and tear. It is very sturdy so it won’t break or cut as you ride your MTB on the trail. This means that you get to enjoy your ride regardless of how challenging the trail is. These cables are enough for front and rear cables and come with the housing for the best performance. They also come with the needed ferrules.
You can cut these cables easily for the best fit, although you might need a new pair of clippers to have the job done. The housing is perfectly lined to minimize friction and facilitate the performance of the cables. The best thing about this set is that the cables come in a convenient package, where you can remove one without scattering the rest of them.
- A set of 10 cables and 20 cable caps.
- Durable alloy.
- Budget-friendly package of cables.
- Housing with a slick coating to minimize friction.
- Convenient package that will protect the rest of the cables.
- You might need extra crimps.
6. Schwinn SW76193-4 Brake and Derailleur Cable Repair Set
When you are looking for the best bike brake cable replacement, you want to make sure that you are buying a high-quality product that will provide flawless performance. Moreover, it is a big plus if your cable set doesn’t cost a fortune. The manufacturers of this cable set made sure that they provide you with an excellent product that will perform as it is designed to.
This set features cables for the brakes and the derailleur; the front and rear ones. Thanks to these cables, you are going to enjoy the best braking and shifting experience. Moreover, it comes with the cable ends that will protect your cables and ensure their perfect installation. You receive 10 cables in one package in addition to 20 cable ends. They come with soldered ends and are long so you can customize them for the perfect length. They come ready to use and don’t take much to install.
This is considered to be a great bargain because the cables are very durable and affordable. You can easily replace your old cables as these are designed for fast and hassle-free installation.
- Durable cables that can be installed in no time.
- High-quality and flawless performance.
- An affordable set of brake and shifting cables.
- Soldered ends.
- Cable caps.
- Long length that can be easily adjusted.
- Housing is not included.
7. Sunlite Lined Brake Cable Housing, 5mm x 50ft
These cable brakes come in different colors to fit every mountain bike. They are very well-made and can be easily installed to ensure the best performance for your brakes. Cutting the cables is not difficult and they will not show any signs of wear and tear.
You receive a long roll of 50 feet that you can cut and customize according to your needs. These are durable and very well made and will provide smooth and instant braking performance whenever you need to stop your bike. It is perfect for home mechanics and people who want to fix their bikes at the own convenience.
This cable housing is great value for the money and is going to last for long. You can use it to rebuild or fix 4 or 5 bikes and this makes it a great option if you are fixing your MTB with the rest of the gang.
- Durable construction.
- Different colors.
- Long length for easy customization.
- Great value for the money.
- The outer coating is not very tight. You need to be careful not to fray it while installing the ferrules.
8. XLC Brake Cable & Housing, Universal Black
You need to be extra careful when you are shopping for new brake cables and housing. It is all about buying the best products to ensure your safety. This cable housing is a universal fit, comes with the needed ferrules and will be installed on any mountain bike with no problems whatsoever.
The cable slides perfectly into the housing for a flawless and guaranteed performance. You need a brake cutter to customize it for the best fit and it can work for front and rear brakes. It is an affordable brake set that will provide the best performance.
This is a great cable set for beginners and people who are looking for a quick fix. The cables even come with the end caps already installed so you can have your brakes ready in a few minutes.
- Affordable brake cable and housing.
- Universal fit.
- Can be customized.
- Comes with the needed ferrules.
- End caps are already installed.
- Not very well insulated.
- Needs some adjustment before you can install it and use it.
9. Wolfride Universal Bike Bicycle Brake Cable and Housing Set
Your best bet is to pick a durable brake cable. This cable is made of stainless steel that it is coated with PTFE for better insulation and more durability. The outer layer of these cables is treated to ensure the smoothest performance and maximum sensitivity. These cables will stay in shape and will not show any signs of wear with repeated use.
They are designed to endure the harsh conditions on challenging trails. They are PVC coated to perform exceptionally in extreme weather conditions. In addition to enduring heat and cold, they are well protected from oxidization that can damage the quality of the cables.
This a universal set of brake cables that contains everything you will need for a repair or an upgrade. They can fit the front and rear brakes on different types of MTBs and road bikes and come with the ferrules that you will need for installation.
- Comprehensive universal set for road bikes and MTBs.
- Front and rear brake cables.
- Comes with ferrules.
- Can be customized.
- Better insulation for withstanding different climates and extreme trail conditions.
- The set comes with end caps that work for road bikes. You want to buy a different set for your MTB.
10. Sram SlickWire Mountain Bicycle Brake Cable Kit
This set contains high-quality housing and PTFE coated stainless steel cables for the best brakes performance. The kit comes with the front and rear brake cables, housing, aluminum ferrules, end caps and frame protectors.
The cables are coated for a reliable and smooth performance even on the toughest trails. This minimizes friction and ensures that your brakes are going to be highly sensitive and responsive. The kit comes in two different colors so you can pick the one that fits your MTB.
The cables are stiff and durable. They won’t cut or bend as you rush along the trail. This means that you can rest assured knowing that your mountain bike will respond whenever you need it to. The lever action is smooth and you know that your brakes will not disappoint you. They are also very easy to install.
- Stiff and durable stainless steel cables.
- Lined cables and housing to minimize friction.
- Smooth operation.
- Comprehensive set that contains ferrules and end caps.
- 2 different colors.
- Need regular adjustment.
How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike Brake Cable?
Shopping for a reliable brake cable and housing can be a challenging job, especially if you are not used to doing mechanical work on your own. This is why we decided to highlight the most relevant features that can help you find the best brakes cable.
There is nothing worse than a cable that will snap when you are already on your mountain biking quest. This is why you need to make sure that you are buying a durable sturdy brake cable to ensure that it won’t disappoint you when you need it the most.
Stainless steel is one of the most favored materials because it is strong and reliable. Some cables are also made of metal alloys that are designed to withstand rough performance.
A comprehensive set that contains the cable inner and the housing is a good option since you can repair your brakes in one go. Some products offer a high-quality housing that won’t bend or break under the pressure. Make sure that your housing is well-insulated to provide smooth and flawless operation. This will also lengthen the life of your cables inner as the good insulation will minimize excessive friction.
Your cable will not necessarily fit right out of the box. You might have to do some necessary adjustments to make sure that it fits perfectly. It will be a good idea if your cable is segmented so you can know exactly where to cut. Moreover, you should always make sure that cutting it will not be a tiring job. Of course, you will need some specialty specialty tools for bike but they shouldn’t be impossible to obtain. After all, you are fixing your own brakes because you don’t want to hit the bike shop.
As you cut and customize your cable, it is very important to keep an eye on the insulation. If your inner and outer part tend to fray or are not properly cut, your cable won’t probably last for long. Look for a high-quality cable that can be cut smoothly and perfectly.
End caps are essential and should be installed to protect your cables. If your set comes with the needed end caps, then it is definitely a plus. This means that you won’t have to worry about buying a separate set of caps that fit. Nevertheless, if your caps come already installed, there might be a problem with removing them if you need to do any adjustments.
Ferrules are also necessary for successful cables installation. If your set doesn’t come with the needed ferrules, you will have to pay extra to have them added. Always consider a comprehensive set if you are looking for a full repair or upgrade to your current brakes system.
How To Replace A Bicycle Brake Cable?
Check this video to know, how to replace your bike brake cable.
When you are shopping for the Best Mountain Bike Brake Cable you always have the option to choose between buying the inner cable or a comprehensive cable kit that contains the housing and all the needed accessories. The cable is an affordable replacement in case yours gets accidentally cut, but if you are looking for a comprehensive upgrade then you should always consider a high-quality kit that contains everything you need.
Make sure that you have enough of a high-quality cable that will fit both your front and rear brakes and pick a set that is well made to withstand continuous riding. Remember that safety should always be your priority and this means spending enough time to study the available choices.