The 10 Best Mountain Bike Tool Kits and How To Pick The Right One
If you are the owner of a mountain bike, you know already how necessary it is to have the right mountain bike tool kits for the maintenance job. Having a good bike repair tools box can save your money that you may have to pay the mechanics otherwise.
The tools you need are very important for performing the right maintenance and repairs on your mountain bike. Bike tool kits are usually all comprised of many various parts that allow you to repair your bike. Check out what we’ve found as the best tool kits for your bicycle.
Please note that as an Amazon Affiliate we may earn commission from qualified purchases — thanks for your support!
Quick Answer – Top Bicycle Tool Kits
Reviews of Best Mountain Bike Tool Kits
To perform all these functions, your bile needs to be well cared for with regular maintenance tasks. A mountain bike is a special type of bike that needs to perform very often in various adverse conditions like rain, water, and mud.
All these special parts that compose a mountain bike need the specialized tools to maintain and fix them.
1. Bikehand Bike Repair Tool Kit with Torque Wrench
The Bikehand Bike Repair Tool Kit is the ultimate MTB bicycle repair toolkit. This all-inclusive tool set contains quality tools that are designed to help you repair your bike as well as for routine maintenance of your bicycle.
With a one-year warranty promising your satisfaction, the Bikehand Bike Bicycle Repair Tool Kit with Torque Wrench provides you with 23 items including a chaining nut, pedal, bottom bracket and dust cap wrench not to mention spoke and hex key wrench in multiple sizes.
It also includes a chain scrubber, cable cutter, crank puller and freewheel remover. This is truly a complete package!
Made with heat-seated stainless steel, this is a comprehensive kit designed especially for modern bicycles. All of the tools are made of durable materials to ensure that this is the one kit you will ever need. Furthermore, the kit is versatile enough to suit the needs of dedicated bikers as well as amateur mechanics.
This is especially true as the torque wrench included in this kit is a must for bicycle repair and otherwise would cost more separately. The torque has a range of 2-24Nm, making it ideal for crank repair and other jobs alike.
Bikers prefer this kit over other branded ones as it performs well, is a complete collection and comes in a portable box. Moreover, it is cheaper than other branded options as well as buying the tools separately.
This Bikehand MTB Repair Tool Kit is the best bike tools kit on the market today as it is diverse enough for most bikes and cheap enough to allow bikers to afford it and buy other accessories instead. We LOVE this Bikehand Mountain Bike Repair Toolkit!
- A complete kit containing 23 tools with multiple wenches
- Cheaper than other brands
- Includes torque wrench which is essential when working on bikes
- Suitable for professional and personal use
- One-year warranty
- Good option for new bikers
- Wire cutter could be better
- Won’t work for some specialty bikes
2. Topeak Prepbox 18 Tool Kit
If you are a person who is hoping to do things yourself you should ideally have the Topeak Prepbox Tool Kit. This tool kit comprises 18 essential tools that you can put to use for different purposes, including fixing up your mountain bike.
You can choose to fix small issues with your bike, car, and other work on other things with this tool kit. It is made of durable metal that comprises tools that are of shop quality. The tool kit is made in Taiwan and is great for maintenance purposes.
It is also great for professionals to carry around when they are into maintenance and service work. The tool kit comes in an easy to carry pro-level carrying case. The total dimensions of the kit are 24 x 20 x 8 inches.
Along with the carrying case, the total weight of this tool kit is at 12.4 pounds or 5.6 kilograms. You can use this tool to both assemble and disassemble mountain bikes and other items with relative ease.
Anyone who loves to take care of small repairs at their homes or their garage would find this tool kit ideal for their needs.
- Contains 18 essential tools suiting different needs
- Can be easily carried in the pro-level carrying case
- Light in weight with a total of just 12.4 pounds
- Product dimensions are only 24 x 20 x 8 inches making it compact
- Product made in Taiwan and meets required standards
- Durable, sturdy and reliable solid metal used for all components
- Cannot be shipped outside of the United States
3. BIKEHAND Bike Bicycle Repair Tool Kit
If you are looking for the perfect Do-It-Yourself bike repair tools, then worry no more because BIKEHAND Bike Bicycle Repair Tool Kit is your ultimate choice.
This is a complete bike repair tool set that comes in a solid box, allows for easy storage and can be carried anywhere. It gives you quality tools that will help you fix your bike for a better ride. The toolkit comes with a wide collection of features amounting to 18 items in the whole package.
These tools are made with stainless steel meaning they are tough and durable. They include levers and wrenches and other tools essential for emergency repairs of your bike.
This toolkit gives you confident when riding as you are sure you are able to tackle any issues encountered. The set has been developed by professionals and the quality of tools is a guarantee of work well done.
- A complete kit containing 18 tools with multiple wenches
- Cheaper than other brands
- Includes torque wrench which is essential when working on bikes
- Suitable for professional and personal use
- One year warranty
- Good option for new bikers
- Generic set, not ideal for all bikes
- May need to buy additional tools as per personal requirement
- Quality on some tools not as good as the rest of the set like wire cutter and may need replacement
4. Park Tool PK-3 Professional Tool Kit
Anyone who is looking for a great MTB tool kit that they can keep stored at home can choose to purchase the Park tool PK-3 professional tool kit. This tool kit is one that fits the requirements of most people and can be used for hundreds of repair and maintenance work.
It contains a total of 70 plus tools that are made from durable metal. People who have a workshop-based environment at their garage and wish to perform repairs on their bikes would also find this tool kit ideal.
You would be surprised at the versatility these different tools have to offer you in this tool kit. The total product dimensions are at 26.3 x 11.2 x 10.8 inches. Including the box, the weight of the kit is at 32.6 pounds or roughly 15 kilograms.
You also can choose to include this kit as a part of your car tool kit to perform small repairs while you are on the go. Although it may not be a kit that is suited to professionals it can be used by people who are more into DIY repair and maintenance work.
- Package contains more than 70 essential tools for repair and maintenance work
- Product dimensions are at 26.3 X 11.2 X 10.8 inches in size
- Ideal for DIY repair and maintenance at home or while on the go
- Total weight of around 15 kilograms or 32.6 pounds
- Made of durable metal to withstand tough working conditions
- Covers some tools for home needs such as a hammer, wrench, and cleaning brushes
- A little too heavy to be carried around
5. Venzo Premium Bike Repair Tools Tool Kit
Although this is known as the bike repair tool kit it serves multiple purposes apart from performing repair and maintenance work on bikes. The package contains 37 pieces of different tools that can be used on both automobiles and at home.
A beginner mechanic would also find this tool kit to be quite impressive to cover all needs. The manufacturer of the tools provides you with a plastic case to store all the tools compactly. There is a protective internal foam that is provided between two halves of the box for added protection.
The hard-plastic case is durable and can be used to carry the tools within the garage or while storing it. The total dimensions of the product are at 3.5 x 9.8 x 12.6 inches. The total weight is 6.4 pounds or about 3 kilograms.
These Venzo premium bike repair tool kits are made in Taiwan and use durable material. Most of the common repair that you come across with your bikes can be done with this tool kit. It can also be used for tune-ups and maintenance work on your bike.
- Light in weight and easy to carry around at 3 kgs or 6.4 pounds
- Protective foam between two halves of the case containing tools
- Comes in dimensions of 3.5 x 9.8 x 12.6 inches
- The hard-plastic case is durable to carry all the tools in one pack
- Product is made in Taiwan with reliable solid metal with a 1-year warranty
- Ideal compact case for use at home or garage
Does not contain a bolt wrench
6. Deckey Bicycle Repair Tool Kit
Deckey Bicycle Repair Tool Kit is the solution for those looking for a variety of tools at a bargain price.
Encased in an attractive tool box, the multi-functional tool kit lives up to its name with an astonishing 48 pieces that are designed for a variety of repair jobs including fixing tires, lights, brakes etc. on motorcycles or bicycles.
The tools and box are made of durable quality, the non-rust material making this a good option for a mountain bike repair kit. The range of tools available in this kit set it apart especially at such an affordable price, making it an ideal kit for beginners who aspire to become adept at fixing their win bike.
This kit has it all to make anyone feel prepared to any repair job, big or small, and the variety of tools available make this kit suitable for different types of bikes.
While the tool box was made of durable material, the case did not store the tools securely, causing them to fall out. Moreover,
the wenches in the tool box were also not designed for more challenging repairs thus, making it necessary to invest in more powerful ones.
- A complete tool kit containing 48 tools
- Suitable for multiple purposes and different types of bikes because of the variety of tools
- Less chances of rusting
- Tool box made of sturdy material
- Easy to travel with and make basic repairs on the spot
- Tool box would not keep tools in place
- Poor quality of some tools
7. BIKEHAND Bike Bicycle Repair Tools Tool Kit Set
Are you spending a lot of money visiting bike maintenance shops for minor repairs on your bike? Do you wish you had the right tools for undertaking simple maintenance of your bike?
Worry no more because BIKEHAND Bike Bicycle Repair Tools Tool Kit Set is your best solution.
It is a handy toolset that helps in fixing any type of fault that happens in your bike. The toolkit presents a variety of tools and it`s offered at an affordable price and is worth its value. All the tools are developed from strong and long-lasting material that can tolerate wear and tear associated with usage.
This toolkit will save you unnecessary costs because you will be able to perfectly fix your bike. It comes with all basic tools needed for almost all Do-It-Yourself repairs.
With that, you will not even have to visit any maintenance shops. With the help of the tools available in this toolkit, you can comfortably do total reassembly and disassembly, a complete overhaul, and perform essential repairs.
- A good tool kit containing 18 tools
- Basic quality tools of durable quality
- Suitable for fixing a variety of bikes
- Ideal for occasional use
- Great option for basic bike repairs at home
- One year warranty
- Generic set of limited use
- Quality not comparable with expensive brands
- Not designed for heavy repair work
8. CyclingDeal Bicycle Bike Repair Tools Tool Kit
In case you are looking for quality tools to take care of your modern bike, then Bicycle Bike Repair Tools Tool Kit is your best choice. It offers quality tools that will help you handle all faults on your bike.
It has a very convenient plastic casing that allows for easy storage and is also very comfortable moving around with. Also It has amazing features such as Shimano compatible wheel remover that work perfectly well.
You don’t have to spend much on repairs by taking your bike to those expensive maintenance shops. All you need to is to purchase this toolkit. The toolkit is very affordable.
With the help of the tools that are included in the whole set, you can comfortably perform almost all the basic repair and maintenance services on your bike.
You can repair punctures, reassemble and disassemble the whole bike, tune wheels, adjust the bottom bracket among others. Most bike repairs are simple and if you have the tools, you can fix them. Find few more important tools on damntools
- Cartridge B.B Tool
- Red-tire levers
- Freewheel Turner
- 8mm Hex Key Wrench
- Flat Phillips Screwdriver
- Cotterless crank extractor
9. BHBLuE Bike Hand Tool Kit
Are you in search of a toolkit that will solve all repair problems associated with old bikes of all types? Search no more because the Bike Hand Tool Kit Bike Bicycle Repair Home Mechanic Road ATB Hybrid will solve all your problems.
It is the perfect solution for all types of older bikes. It is a sturdy tool box that has an inbuilt handle that makes it easy to carry.
This toolkit contains quality tools that are designed for the bicycle mechanic. The kit will help you fix all your simple and advanced bike problems comfortably and anywhere.
All common bike repair tools you will need are all in this tool. You can solve problems of Road, Mountain, BMX, Hybrid and Track bikes.
You will be able to maintain your bike in a good condition with the help of these tools. These tools can help tune the bike wheels, reassemble and disassemble it, change bearings, replace worn-out tires, make adjustments among others.
The tools are designed for quality and worth the price and can are meant to fit in different bike types.
- Strong tool box with inbuilt handles
- Tire repairs
- Flat Phillips screwdrivers
- Cotterless crank arm remover
- Adjustable bottom bracket
10. Lumintrail Bike Repair Tool Kit
Any bike mechanic who wants an easy to carry professional tool kit can choose to purchase this product. This has 42 tools that can do almost any repair, tune-up or maintenance job on your bike.
The durability and the strength of the tools are ensured as they are made of high-quality premium carbon steel. Some parts of the tools like the handle are made of high-quality plastic with ideal grips. Bikers with mountain bikes, hybrid bikes, and road bikes can be repaired, tuned up, and maintained with this tool kit.
The entire tool kit comes in dimensions of 32.3 x 25.2 x 7 cm making it compact to carry or store away when not in use. The total weight of the product including the hard-plastic case comes to only 5.81 lbs which roughly comes to a little over 2.5 kilograms.
The plastic case is custom molded to fit all the tools with relative ease. This makes the tool kit easy to carry without needing additional boxes after unpacking it. Overhauling of the bikes can also be done with almost any model or design of bikes with this tool kit.
- Comprises of 42 of the most essential tools for different bikes
- The dimensions of the tool kit stand at an impressive 32.3 x 25.2 x 7 cm
- Light in weight at 2.5 kgs or 5.81 lbs makes it easy for carrying
- Overhauling, repairing, and maintenance made easy with this tool kit
- Custom molded plastic case for easy carrying and storage
- Some of the tools are flimsy due to its lightweight
- Does not have a lock ring tool necessary for many bike models
Why to consider purchasing Best Mountain Bike Tool Kits
i. Expert repair tools
Mountain bikes might involve some more expert or professional types of repair tools including facers, headset presses, or wheel truing stands.
For some people that are not very good on do it yourself tasks and not confident with these types of repairs, it might be best to leave these types of repairs in the hands of their local bike mechanic experienced and trained in these types of installations, repairs, and maintenance.
ii. Leave expert repairs to professionals
The average person, even if a trained mechanic, without the right training can damage the bike or his equipment, or really hurt himself.
Your bike might get damaged beyond repair, so it’s better not to leave these repairs to just anyone or try them by yourself if you are not really well experienced in performing them.
iii. Repairs and maintenance yourself
In case you are new to work on repairs and maintenance on your bike you can learn some skills by checking WikiHow or DIY bike yourself videos like those of Dave Delgado.
You’ll find all sorts of videos on the various installation, repairs, maintenance, and tuning topics for your mountain bike. You may use these videos for tricky topics you are not totally familiar with, for example help with bleeding brakes and damping settings.
You may also use online tools for comparing different prices and features of various mountain bike tool kits offered by different manufacturing brands. All you have to do is to type in the search box the tool you want to compare the price provided by different vendors, then press Search or Enter.
iv. Essential mountain bike tools
One of the essential mountain bike tool kits you might need to consider is the Bike Repair Stand. This tool is important because it provides a secure foundation to work on your bike.
There are hard mounted to a floor or wall base as well as portable bike repair stands. When you are actually able to work on your bike in a proper position that allows you to keep it steady and reach all sides of your bike, or to cycle the drive train with ease, this really makes a difference.
It also pays off to perform your own wrenching in lean times, but in order to install, repair, tune, and maintain your bike with any success you need to acquire a decent quality tool kit.
Here are other tools you would need to purchase:
- Allen keys – T-shaped, ideally long, and ball-ended to be possible to use them in tight spaces. Another options of Allen keys are Y-shaped and the standard L-shaped type.
- Cassette removal tools
- Bottom bracket tool – with good leverage and solid engagement
- Chainring bolt tool
- Chain tool – with smooth action
- Tyre levers
- Cable cutters – for changing gear cables, Pedal spanner
- Torx drivers – for brake/rotor adjustment
- Screwdrivers – for rear and front mech limit screws
- A tiny screwdriver – this could always be useful
Things You Need to Consider Before Buying a Bike Tools Box
i. Box in a Bench types of MTB tool kits
Some manufacturers have fitted the contents of an entire home workshop into just a cardboard box. This kind of mountain bike tool kits has excellent finish and functionality, so acquire a chest for a fully equipped workspace. However, the price is directly proportional to the quality and the number of tools you get.
From this kind of bench in a box took kit you can expect to get usually the following tools: Torx keys (Y-shaped, T-shaped), Hex keys (Y-shaped, T-shaped, L-shaped), chain tool – a combination of 10,9, and 8 mm spanners, tire, levers, cable cutters, spoke keys, screwdrivers, cassette lockring tool, vice whip, pedal spanner, torque wrench, Shimano cartridge BB tool, external cup BB tool, cone spanners, threadless nut setter, crank extractor, tape measure, parts bowl, BMX freewheel remover, socket/tool drive, BB tools (Campagnolo SKS, 8-pin, 6-pin), cable wrench, headset spanners, bottle opener.
ii. Other Board & Tools MTB Tool Kits
Some of this type of mountain bike tool kits feature up to 80 high-quality tools for adjusting and removing just about everything: spanners, screwdrivers, files, crank extractors, chain whips, pliers, and 3/8in drive torque wrench, 25 and 32mm sockets, hex drives.
iii. What to look for
Look for a toolbox that is really impressive if you can afford the price. Shop for a toolbox with easy-access design and a clear layout, with some extra spaces for you to add extra tools.
iv. The basic tools
The basic tools you will still need if you are shopping for a mountain bike tool kit in case that you are on a strict budget are cassette lockring tools (Shimano and/or Campagnolo), hex wrench sets, BB tools, chain wear indicator, bottle opener, chainring nut wrench, crank puller, crank wrench, chain lube, cable cutter, hammer, folding chain tool, cone wrench set, adjustable wrench, combination wrenches, tape measure, pedal spanner, spoke wrenches, screwdrivers, tyre levers, sprocket removal tool, brush, knife, pliers, star driver.
When choosing your mountain bike tool kit, you can choose a budget kit, a mid-budget choice, or a professional mountain bike kit.
We wanted to present here a guideline on the best bicycle tool kits to purchase, why would you need to acquire your own bike tool kit and several tips to consider before shopping for a mountain bike took the kit.
We consider that it is important for every owner of a mountain bike to have in possession also some essential tools that are really a must-have in your tool-box.
These tools range from basic tools you can buy on a strictly limited budget to middle range and expert/professional grade mountain bike tool kits.
We have used all these various bike maintenance and repair tools with great success and we certainly know that many other bike rider enthusiasts have also used them as well.
We did not provide an exhaustive list of everything you will ever need, but we hope our article is useful and it should provide a good base of for you to make an informed decision on choosing the best tool kits for the mountain bike to help you fix issues as they arise.
- Reviews of Best Mountain Bike Tool Kits
- 1. Bikehand Bike Repair Tool Kit with Torque Wrench
- 2. Topeak Prepbox 18 Tool Kit
- 3. BIKEHAND Bike Bicycle Repair Tool Kit
- 4. Park Tool PK-3 Professional Tool Kit
- 5. Venzo Premium Bike Repair Tools Tool Kit
- 6. Deckey Bicycle Repair Tool Kit
- 7. BIKEHAND Bike Bicycle Repair Tools Tool Kit Set
- 8. CyclingDeal Bicycle Bike Repair Tools Tool Kit
- 9. BHBLuE Bike Hand Tool Kit
- 10. Lumintrail Bike Repair Tool Kit
- Why to consider purchasing Best Mountain Bike Tool Kits
- Things You Need to Consider Before Buying a Bike Tools Box