Best Mountain Bikes Under $200 with Buying Guide
It is time to explore the roughest and most challenging terrains, but first, you need to be well equipped. Without the proper gear, you will not be able to enjoy your outdoor experience the way you should. Moreover, you might not be safe on the trail.
This is why we think that finding the best mountain bikes under 200 can make a huge difference. Finding a high-quality mountain bike can be tricky especially when you don’t want to break the bank.
You need to buy a safe and trustworthy product when you are on the trail. You will solely depend on your mountain bike while riding through the roughest terrains.
- List of Top 10 Mountain Bikes Under $200
- Reviews of Mountain Bikes Under $200
- 1. Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension MTB
- 2. Schwinn Men’s High Timber 27.5″ Wheel MTB
- 3. Roadmaster Granite Peak 26″ Men’s MTB
- 4. Kent Thruster KZ2600 Dual-Suspension MTB
- 5. Stowabike 26″ MTB V2 Folding Dual Suspension MTB
- 6. Kent Thruster T-29 Men’s Mountain Bike
- 7. Merax 26″ Dual Disc Brakes 21 Speed Hardtail MTB
- 8. GTM 26″ 7 Speed Folding Mountain Bike
- 9. 27.5″ Mongoose Excursion Men’s Mountain Bike
- 10. 29″ Genesis Men’s GS29 Mountain Bike
- Why should you Buy the Cheap Mountain Bike?
- Buying Guide For Mountain Bikes Under $200
List of Top 10 Mountain Bikes Under $200
- Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension MTB
- Schwinn Men’s High Timber 27.5″ Wheel
- Roadmaster Granite Peak 26″ Men’s MTB
- Kent Thruster KZ2600 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
- Stowabike 26″ MTB V2 Folding Dual Suspension MTB
- Kent Thruster T-29 Men’s Mountain Bike
- Merax 26″ Dual Disc Brakes 21 Speed Hardtail Mountain Bike
- GTM 26″ 7 Speed Folding Mountain Bike
- 27.5″ Mongoose Excursion Men’s Mountain Bike
- 29″ Genesis Men’s GS29 Mountain Bike
Reviews of Mountain Bikes Under $200
There are a lot of available products on the market. But finding the Best Mountain Bikes Under 200 dollars is not the easiest task. Going through all the products on the market can be a little bit confusing. This is why we have decided to test and review the top 10 MTBs Under $200.
In this part of the article, you will find all the information that will help you pick the most suitable product. All you have to do is pay attention to the mentioned details, and you will be able to make the right purchase.
1. Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension MTB
If you want a sturdy and durable mountain bike, then this definitely the one you want to pick. It features a durable aluminum frame that is very lightweight. This is a fast mountain bike that you can depend on. With a steel front fork, you can be sure that this mountain bike will last for long.
This is an affordable mountain bike that you can buy if you are a beginner. It features 24 inches alloy rims that will stay stable even on the wildest trail. It also features 21-speed shifters that will come in handy when you are trying to hit the road. With this price tag, you are actually buying an excellent mountain bike that is great value for money.
- One of the Cheapest Mountain Bikes on the market.
- Sturdy aluminum frame with a durable steel front fork.
- Big stable 24 inches wheels.
- 21-speed shifters.
- Compared to other aluminum mountain bikes, this one can be a little bit too heavy.
- Some users thought that it could be difficult to assemble at the beginning.
2. Schwinn Men’s High Timber 27.5″ Wheel MTB
This mountain bike is what you need for controlled riding on the most challenging trails. Unlike other products, this one is built to last. It features a sturdy Schwinn frame and Schwinn suspension fork for the best mountain biking experience on the roughest trails.
When you are mountain biking, you should be able to depend on a reliable product. Quick gear shifting will be a plus, and this is exactly what you get when you choose to invest in this durable bike. With 21 speed rear derailleur, every ride will be so much fun.
It is suitable for all terrains. It features wide and reliable tires on very light yet sturdy alloy wheels. This way you can go fast while staying safe. Due to its robust construction, it requires less maintenance than other models. It is a great value for money.
- Sturdy frame with durable, lightweight wheels.
- Quick gear shifting.
- Suitable for all terrains.
- An affordable price and good value for the money.
- Some users felt that the seat can be a little bit uncomfortable.
- You need to provide you own tools to assemble it.
3. Roadmaster Granite Peak 26″ Men’s MTB
Finding the right mountain bikes below 200 can be hard. But this amazing bike has it all in check. You shouldn’t spend a lot of money to get a reliable mountain bike, and this excellent bike is living proof. The steel frame is what you need to stay safe on the road. It is specially designed for easy riding even on the wildest trails.
Having a wide gear range is definitely a plus when you are riding on rough terrain, and with the 3-piece mountain crank, this is exactly what you get. This bike features high-quality linear brakes for easy and fast stopping. It also features SRAM shifters for smooth gear shifting while riding.
You can be sure that you will enjoy every single second of your ride thanks to the 26 inches wide alloy wheels that will keep your bike stable. The suspension fork is specially designed to eliminate the effect of road bumps to give you a smooth, controlled ride.
- An affordable, high-quality bike. It is an appropriate option for people who are on a tight budget but would still want a good mountain bike.
- Suitable for easy and challenging terrains.
- A great suspension fork to smooth the path and give you more control over the bike.
- 18 speeds and fast gear shifting.
- Reliable brakes and padded seat.
- Some users thought that the bike could be a little heavy on the road.
4. Kent Thruster KZ2600 Dual-Suspension MTB
Aluminum is one of the lightest yet sturdiest metals. This is why the manufacturers of this mountain bike chose to make sure that its aluminum frame is specially designed to keep you safe on any trail. The suspension fork will smooth out your ride and give you more control on the bike.
This bike features 21-speed shifters for a fun ride. You will not have to worry while riding this bike because it is made to keep you safe while having fun. It features front disc brake and rear linear pull brake. This will give you more control over the bike and allow you to stop it whenever you need to. The alloy wheel rims are built to last and will not weigh you down.
- A sturdy and durable aluminum frame. This is a lightweight bike that can go fast but will still be stable on the trail.
- A front suspension fork for more control.
- 21-speed shifters.
- Front and rear brakes for more safety on wild trails.
- Some users felt that the handlebars sit rather low.
- The seat of this bike can get uncomfortable especially after long rides.
5. Stowabike 26″ MTB V2 Folding Dual Suspension MTB
There are several reasons why people prefer to buy this great mountain bike. Featuring a lot of high-quality components, this is one of the toughest and most reliable bikes on the market. As a bonus, it looks quite nice too.
This is not a flimsy bike that will break when you use it. It is designed to last for long. But the thing that really sets it away from competition is the incredible steel folding frame. Not only will you enjoy every single minute of your ride. You will also easily store this bike when it is not in use. It features a front suspension fork for maximum control on rough and challenging trails.
The steel handlebars are covered with black rubber. You can rely on this bike for years, and every single ride will be as good as the first one. It features high-quality brakes for easy stopping and more control while on the trail.
- High-quality and reliable steel frame and suspension fork.
- An easy to fold frame that allows you to easily store and transport this bike.
- 18 speeds.
- Steel brakes.
- The seat of the bike can be a bit uncomfortable. You can add a padded seat for more comfort.
6. Kent Thruster T-29 Men’s Mountain Bike
This is one of the greatest Mountain Bikes Under $200. It is sturdy, reliable and very fun to ride. The lightweight 6061 heat treated aluminum frame is very durable. It gives this bike its unique and strong foundation. It features high-quality derailleurs and shifters for more control while riding on difficult trails.
A lot of users prefer this bike over other products on the market because of its 29-inch rims. Although they are big, they are very lightweight compared to steel rims. This means more control and more fun while mountain biking. This bike is very easy to handle. The tires are very well designed to provide a strong grip on any surface. The crankset is made from durable steel that will last for long. If you don’t feel like spending your money on a flimsy mountain bike, then you should definitely go with this one.
- Heat treated lightweight aluminum frame.
- Reliable shifters and derailleurs for better control.
- 29 aluminum inch rims. They are lighter than steel but are very sturdy.
- Steel crankset for durability and performance.
- Reliable brakes that work every time.
- Some users didn’t like the screws that come with the bike. You can replace them and buy new ones from any hardware store.
- The handlebar needs some adjustments to stay fixed.
7. Merax 26″ Dual Disc Brakes 21 Speed Hardtail MTB
This is one of the most economical entry levels mountain bike. It is safe and fun to ride even if you are not an avid mountain biker. This is a bike you can depend on when you are riding on a wild trail. This mountain bike features a strong suspension fork. It will smooth out your ride and enable you to control the bike through bumps.
What you need on a rough trail is a mountain bike that won’t disappoint you. This is why a lot of users prefer to buy this bike thanks to its responsive disc brakes. They will allow you to stop whenever you want to.
This bike features dual aluminum rims for durability and performance. Although this bike is lightweight and easy to control, it has a weight capacity of 330 Ibs which makes it a fit for almost everybody. It definitely looks more expensive than its actual price tag.
- An economic entry level mountain bike. This is a bike that you can comfortably ride even if you don’t have much experience.
- A sturdy frame that has a weight capacity of 330 Ibs.
- A reliable suspension fork to smooth out your ride.
- Responsive disc brakes.
- Strong dual aluminum rims for performance and durability.
- Some users felt that the brakes needed some adjustments, especially at the beginning. But if you are a beginner then you can easily do this at the bike shop.
8. GTM 26″ 7 Speed Folding Mountain Bike
The manufacturers of this bike wanted to design something that is both durable and very convenient to use. So, they came up with this folding steel frame that will never disappoint you. This bike will not break or bend. It is also foldable to fit into the car truck. Storing and transporting this bike is very easy.
This bike is also designed to keep you comfortable during long commutes and interesting rides. The handlebars and the seat height are adjustable. You can easily set everything for maximum comfort. This makes it the perfect bike for the whole family.
This mountain bike features Shimano 7 speed shifter and derailleur for easy management. It also features a reliable suspension fork to smooth the path ahead of you. You will never have to worry even when you are riding on the toughest trails. It features large tires for maximum stability. The mountain crank will provide wide gear range for more convenience.
- The Strong steel frame that will last for long.
- Easily folds in 10 seconds for easy transport and storage.
- Adjustable handlebar and seat height. This can be used by everybody in the family.
- Reliable suspension fork for more control.
- Some users felt that the bike could be a little bit heavy.
9. 27.5″ Mongoose Excursion Men’s Mountain Bike
This is an all-terrain steel bike. You can take it to a wild trail or enjoy a relaxing commute thanks to its sturdy design and high-quality components. It features a tough front suspension fork that will smooth out your ride when there are bumps on the road. It also features 21-speed twist shifters for more convenience and control.
If you are looking for a bike that will last for long, then you should definitely go with this one. Its steel frame will not break or bend even in the toughest situations. It features linear pull brakes to keep you safe. It also features alloy rims that are very lightweight and durable.
The best thing about this bike is the knobby tires. These will provide great traction regardless of the nature of the terrain. The crank reduces weight and will improve the pedal performance for a fun ride.
- Strong steel frame that won’t break or bend.
- High-quality suspension fork for smooth riding.
- Lightweight alloy rims with knobby tires for excellent traction.
- Improved pedal performance.
- Some users were not satisfied with the quality of the brakes system.
10. 29″ Genesis Men’s GS29 Mountain Bike
This 29 inches bike is definitely great value for money. If you are looking for a bike that won’t disappoint you, then you should go with this one. It is a great basic bike with everything you need if you are still a beginner.
It features a sturdy frame that is very convenient to use. This bike will stay in good shape even when you ride it on rough trails. The 29 inches rims provide more stability and control on the road. With an adjustable seat, you can control everything to make sure that it fits you perfectly.
This bike features a reliable shifting system and brakes to keep you safe. You can use it for daily commutes or for exploring rather tough terrains. It is a great beginner’s level if you are on a tight budget and would still like to buy something that will last for long.
- A great entry level bike.
- Basic features that very suitable for beginners.
- An adjustable seat.
- Suitable for daily commutes and exploring rough terrains.
- Some users were not satisfied with the brakes.
Why should you Buy the Cheap Mountain Bike?
Money doesn’t necessarily mean better quality. Of course, you need to make sure that you are not buying a cheap bike that will break upon use. After all, safety comes first. However, there are a lot of options available that will allow you to buy a cheap mountain bike that will not disappoint you.
If you are a beginner, you don’t really want to buy a very expensive bike. After some time you will feel the need to replace your bike anyway. Also, a very expensive bike might come with a lot of fancy features that you won’t even use.
It is advisable to invest your money in a good quality entry level mountain bike that will keep you safe on rough trails. You just need to go through the product features and choose the one that you find suitable.
Buying Guide For Mountain Bikes Under $200
Mountain bikes are versatile and tough machines that are designed to help you explore rough terrains. This is why you need to make sure that you are buying a high-quality mountain bike that won’t disappoint you.
There are some features that you need to consider when you are shopping for a mountain bike that you can really depend on.
a) The Frame
You will find that most mountain bikes are either made of steel or aluminum. Steel is very sturdy and strong. It doesn’t rust and will stay in great shape for as long as you decide to use your bike. However, it is quite heavy.
If you are looking for a bike that will speed up then you should opt for an aluminum bike instead. This is lightweight and durable but is not as sturdy as steel. Aluminum mountain bikes cost more than the ones made of steel.
You can also opt for a model that has a folding frame for easy transport and storage.
The size of the wheels will affect your ride. Bigger wheels are more comfortable to ride especially when they feature high-quality tires. Steel wheels are durable but are heavier than aluminum wheels. They will not allow you to go very fast. This is something that you need to consider depending on the nature of your rides.
You can find front and rear suspension on most mountain bikes. The nature and the quality of your suspension should be evaluated depending on your riding needs.
If you are using your mountain bike on rather easy trails, then you can get away with a mid-range suspension. However, if you really like to push it to the limits, then you will have to invest in a high-quality suspension system that will smooth out your ride.
d) Height Adjustment
This is important to consider if you are particularly short or tall. Being able to adjust the height of your seat and handlebars is a plus. It is also a great point to consider if you want to buy a bike that the whole family will use.
Different mountain bikes will have different speed shifters and gear shifting systems. It will all depend on how you use your mountain bike.
What you need to do is to make sure that your mountain bike is suitable for your needs. You also want to buy a bike that features responsive systems that will allow you to stay focused on the trail.
Looking for the cheap mountain bikes under $200 can be tricky. Before deciding on a mountain bike, you need to pay attention to its features. There are a lot of excellent products that won’t cost much and would still give you what you need.
Make sure that you are investing in a reliable bike that won’t disappoint you. You also need to think about your riding style and how you expect to use your bike. The choices are unlimited. All you have to do is to consider the specifications and go with the one that you see fit.