The 10 Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads in 2019 – Review with Ultimate Guide
Nothing compares to the adrenaline rush you experience as you go fast on your mountain bike. But with the Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads, you know that you will be well protected from injuries.
Most of the time, you will be going on rough and tricky trails and it is very likely that you might accidentally fall off your bike. A good pair of protective kneepads will minimize injuries and enable you to get up fast.
This article is dedicated to all speed lovers who are not afraid to hit it hard on the trail. Safety knee pads should be on top of your protective gear. So we created this buying guide to help you pick a good pair for your next mountain biking adventure.
- Reviews of the Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads
- 1. G-Form Pro-X Knee Pads(1 Pair) – Youth and Adult
- 2. Protective Knee Pads, Thick Sponge Anti-slip, Collision Avoidance Knee Sleeve
- 3. Alpinestars Paragon Knee Guard
- 4. Cliff Keen Wraptor Lycra Knee Pad 2.0
- 5. NoCry Professional Knee Pads with Heavy Duty Foam Padding and Comfortable Gel Cushion, Strong Double Straps and Adjustable Easy-Fix Clips
- 6. Professional Knee Pads – EASY TO WEAR Heavy Duty Memory Foam Padding, COMFORTABLE GEL CUSHION
- 7. Larosa Protective Knee Pads
- 8. Venum Kontact Lycra/Gel Knee Pads, Black, Medium/Large
- 9. POC Joint VPD Air Knee Pad
- 10. McDavid 6440 Hex Knee Pads/Elbow Pads/Shin Pads
- How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads?
Quick Answer – The Best Bike Knee Pads
- G-Form Pro-X Knee Pads(1 Pair) – Youth and Adult
- Protective Knee Pads, Thick Sponge Anti-slip
- Alpinestars Paragon Knee Guard
- Cliff Keen Wraptor Lycra Knee Pad 2.0
- NoCry Professional Knee Pads
- Professional Knee Pads
- Larosa Protective Knee Pads
- Venum Kontact Lycra/Gel Knee Pads, Black, Medium/Large
- POC Joint VPD Air Knee Pad
- McDavid 6440 Hex Knee Pads/Elbow Pads/Shin Pads
Reviews of the Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads
Protective knee pads are not meant to restrict your movement. They are supposed to help you move your legs freely as you pedal but protect you in case you fall off your MTB.
In our reviews of the best mountain bike knee pads 2019, we gathered detailed information about some of the best-selling products on the market. All you have to do is to go through our mountain bike knee pads reviews, read the pros and cons of each product, in order to pick the one that suits you the most.
1. G-Form Pro-X Knee Pads(1 Pair) – Youth and Adult
These are probably the best protective knee pads that you should think about if you are into mountain biking. G-Form’s proprietary Reactive Protection Technology(RPT) is an innovative technology that makes it one of the best options for avid and amateur mountain bikers.
The low profile design is not bulky, allowing you to move your legs comfortably. These knee pads are very comfortable to wear. They are mounted on compression fabric that is gentle on your skin. It is breathable and moisture wicking.
The ergonomic design keeps the knee pad in place while allowing your knee to move freely and comfortably. They are also very easy to put on and take off.
Maintaining and cleaning the G Form knee pads is very easy. They are machine washable and can be cleaned after every use so they are always ready for your next adventure.
They are lightweight and can be comfortably worn in cold and hot weather.
- Ergonomic design that allows your knees to move freely.
- Soft foam stiffens upon impact.
- Lightweight design that doesn’t restrict the movement of your knees.
- Mounted on soft compression fabric.
- Moisture-wicking breathable fabric that is gentle on your skin.
- They tend to run small.
2. Protective Knee Pads, Thick Sponge Anti-slip, Collision Avoidance Knee Sleeve
These knee pads are the perfect choice for mountain bikers and for people who are fond of outdoor sports. The unisex design comes in two different sizes that provide adequate protection without restricting the movement of your knees.
They are made of high-density foam that protects your knees from shock. They are very flexible and elastic with a comfortable fabric that is gentle on your skin.
Also resist the impact force as you hit the ground in case you fall off your bike. These knee pads are ideal for outdoor sports enthusiasts thanks to their ergonomic design that doesn’t restrict the movement.
These mountain bike pads keep your muscles warm to reduce stiff muscles and pain. They increase the blood flow and promote the health of your muscles after spending too much time on your mountain bike.
These amazing knee pads are suitable for all sorts of outdoor activities. They are also affordable and can be worn for a whole day without any skin irritation.
- High-density foam that protects from impact.
- Flexible and elastic knee pads for maximum comfort.
- Gentle on the skin.
- Ergonomic design that doesn’t restrict the movement of the knees.
- Suitable for different activities.
- Increase the blood flow to your muscles and tendons.
- They get hot.
3. Alpinestars Paragon Knee Guard
If you are looking for amazing mountain bike knee pads, then these are the ones to pick. These are extremely lightweight, so you know that you can move your knees easily as you pedal.
The ergonomic low profile design is flexible and elastic for maximum comfort. These pads are durable and will last for long. They are made of stretchy mesh that will allow for better breathability and more comfort.
They provide impact and abrasion protection for all mountain bikers. The rip-stop reinforcement ensures that these pads will last for long even if they get in touch with a sharp object.
They are pre-designed for enhanced performance in various positions. The silicone printing keeps your knees adequately protected wherever you go.
- Very lightweight and comfortable knee pads.
- Slip-on design to save time and effort.
- Flexible and elastic design for more comfort.
- Rip-stop fabric for more durability.
- Stretchy mesh fabric for maximum comfort and better breathability.
- They aren’t machine washable.
4. Cliff Keen Wraptor Lycra Knee Pad 2.0
These excellent knee pads come in a wide range of sizes. This means that you can guarantee the perfect fit that will keep your knee pad in place. The sleek low-profile design provides the best protection in case you accidentally hit the ground because they are perfectly padded to protect your knees.
The padding provides front and lateral support to protect your knee joint from nasty injuries that can cause pain. These pads will also keep your knees in perfect health even when you spend long hours on your MTB.
They are very comfortable to wear because they are not bulky so they won’t slow you down. They will guarantee that your knees can move freely and properly thanks to their slim design.
The Inner terry-loop fabric absorbs moisture to keep your knees dry and minimize odor. They also feature stretch mesh for better breathability and more functionality when you are on your MTB.
These knee pads will absorb shock and protect your knee from scrapes and abrasion. They are very durable and will last for long.
- Low-profile sleek design.
- Wide range of sizes for the perfect fit.
- Absorb shock and prevent injury.
- Inner terry-loop fabric to absorb moisture.
- Keep your knees dry and odor-free.
- They are sold individually.
5. NoCry Professional Knee Pads with Heavy Duty Foam Padding and Comfortable Gel Cushion, Strong Double Straps and Adjustable Easy-Fix Clips
These bike knee pads are very flexible and easy to adjust. They feature flexible Neoprene straps that keep the pads in place while allowing your knees to move freely. They are the best knee guards to wear all day long because they will allow you to pedal freely on your mountain bike.
Comfort is a huge issue when you are shopping for protective knee pads. These amazing pads feature soft EVA foam that protects your knees in case of impact. The soft gel core absorbs shock in case of impact for maximum protection and comfort.
These are mini pillows for your knees protecting them from uneven surfaces and sharp objects. If you think that putting on and taking off your pads is a waste of time, then you should think twice.
These amazing knee pads come with practical quick release slip buckle clips that allow you to take them off or put them on in a second. They will stay in place as long as you decide to wear them and can be adjusted for the perfect fit.
They are very durable with a sturdy heavy-duty thick poly shield that protects your knees from scrapes in case you fall onto a sharp object. The strong nylon threads are guaranteed to keep these pads looking good for a long period of time.
If you tend to ride your mountain bike for long hours, then you need comfortable and practical pads. The 600D polyester mesh is gentle on your skin and allows for better breathability. They can be easily cleaned using a wet washcloth. These are the perfect pads for mountain bikers as well as people who work in gardening, carpet installations or flooring.
- Versatile and durable knee pads.
- Soft EVA foam and soft gel inserts to absorb shock.
- Sturdy poly shield to protect from scrapes.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Will stay in place.
- Breathable mesh.
- They look bulky.
6. Professional Knee Pads – EASY TO WEAR Heavy Duty Memory Foam Padding, COMFORTABLE GEL CUSHION
A knee guard will allow you to enjoy the trail so much more as you go faster on your mountain bike. These protective knee pads will ensure that your knees will always stay in great shape even if you accidentally fall off your MTB.
These affordable knee pads come in one universal size that fits every knee. They feature Velcro straps and buckle clips that will allow you to get the most accurate fit without restricting the movement of your knees.
At the same time, your knee pads will stay in place and won’t slide or move. If you tend to ride your bike on rough terrains, then you need the best protection to ensure that your knees will always be safe.
The heavy-duty closed cell memory foam absorbs the shock upon impact while the soft cap will make your pads very comfortable to wear. They are non-skid and won’t slide on any surface. You won’t even remember that you are wearing them because you will be able to move your legs freely.
They are so versatile that they can be used for a lot of other activities. Whether you are working in flooring, carpet and tile installations, construction or gardening, you still need practical and comfortable knee pads that will putt less pressure on your knees.
The 600D polyester mesh is comfortable to wear all day long. It allows for better breathability which makes them amazing knee pads to wear in hot weather.
- Versatile durable knee pads.
- Velcro straps and buckle clips for the best fit and to keep them in place.
- Closed cell memory foam to absorb shock.
- Soft non-skid caps for more comfort.
- Breathable mesh lining.
- They are bulky and come in one size.
7. Larosa Protective Knee Pads
These are made to provide total protection to your kneecap and tendons. They are the best protective pads for avid mountain bikers who are always experimenting with rough terrains. They minimize injury and allow you to pedal for longer.
The EVA foam padding and soft gel core work together to provide the best protection to your knees in case of an impact. The outer shield is made of heavy-duty plastic that protects your knees from scrapes if you accidentally fall on a sharp object.
They can be fully adjusted for a secure and tight fit thanks to the buckle adjustment. The Neoprene straps are so flexible so they won’t hurt your leg or cause any pain or discomfort because they won’t restrict your movement.
These Abrasion-resistant PVC caps are flat with special texture in the middle to prevent sliding. They come in one universal size but can be easily adjusted for the perfect fit. They won’t move around as you pedal on your mountain bike, guaranteeing that your knees will always be safe no matter what happens.
Wearing these pads will never be a problem thanks to the breathable mesh inner lining. It allows for better air ventilation to keep your knees cool even after wearing them all day long. They are so durable and versatile that they can be used for various indoor and outdoor activities.
- Full protection to the knee area.
- EVA foam padding and soft gel core to absorb shock.
- Straps to keep them in place so they won’t slide up or down.
- Abrasion-resistant PVC caps that won’t leave marks or slide on various surfaces.
- Inner mesh lining for better ventilation and breathability.
- Can be easily adjusted for the best fit.
- They tend to run small.
8. Venum Kontact Lycra/Gel Knee Pads, Black, Medium/Large
These knee guards are amazingly flexible. You can wear them comfortably for long hours because they are made of flexible Lycra in an ergonomic lightweight design. They won’t affect your speed or weigh you down as they are designed to protect your knees without restricting your movement.
The flexible Lycra is injected with high-density foam. This acts as a soft cushion that protects your knee in case of accidents. When you accidentally fall off your bike, this foam will absorb the shock and reduce its impact so you can get up fast with zero injuries.
It provides excellent shock absorption in a low profile design that is very comfortable and convenient to wear.
They come in two different sizes, so you can choose the perfect fit. All you have to do is to slide them up or down your legs for the ultimate protection that won’t affect your speed.
In addition to the mesh inner lining, these knee pads feature a unique ventilation system behind the knee. This keeps your knees cool and comfortable and minimizes the discomfort that you might experience if you wear your knee pads in high temperatures.
These will keep your knees safe from skin rashes, blisters, and infections, allowing you to enjoy your time to the maximum.
- Flexible Lycra in an ergonomic design.
- Lightweight pad that doesn’t affect your speed.
- Lycra is injected with high-density foam to protect your knees in case of accidents.
- Two available sizes for the perfect fit.
- Unique ventilation system at the back of the knees for better breathability.
- The logo tends to peel off quickly.
9. POC Joint VPD Air Knee Pad
These are designed for perfect impact absorbing. They are lightweight so you can wear them comfortably when you are exploring rough terrains on your MTB.
The impact absorbing VPD compound absorbs shock in case you fall off the bike. The stretch fabric is extremely comfortable as it easily fits and accommodates the contour of your knee. It is reinforced for more durability.
They come in various sizes so you can easily buy the most suitable size. The elastic strap allows you to adjust your knee guards for the perfect fit. The Neoprene anti-slip internal lining will keep your pads in place as you pedal all day long.
The low profile design is very comfortable to wear because it is not bulky. They are very flexible and allow you to move freely.
These knee pads are breathable as they allow for better ventilation. This means that you can wear them in cold and hot weather comfortably. They also protect your skin from nasty skin infections and rashes.
- Lightweight and low-profile design.
- Impact absorbing VPD compound.
- Reinforced knee pads for better durability.
- Several sizes for the most suitable size.
- Neoprene anti-slip internal lining keeps them in place.
- They could use more padding.
10. McDavid 6440 Hex Knee Pads/Elbow Pads/Shin Pads
These wonderful knee pads are perfect for mountain biking and other situations where your knees are subject to injury. They provide better protection in high-impact sports where you might accidentally hurt your knees.
Made of closed cell foam padding that absorbs shock upon impact to minimize pain and injury. They are very versatile and can be easily worn to protect your knees, shin or elbow.
Unlike other protective knee pads, these will always stay in place. You won’t have to stop pedaling to adjust them because they will stay stable no matter how much you move your legs. They are also machine-washable and can be easily dried in the dryer.
This way you can guarantee that your knee pads are always ready for use. They come in different sizes with a special size for youth for the best fit. Your knee pads won’t move or pinch your skin. The moisture management technology makes them the perfect pads to wear in hot and cold weather.
They are designed to be gentle on your skin even if you wear them for long hours. They will always stay dry and odor-free.
These knee pads come in various sizes to suit the rest of your gear. They are not bulky so your knees will move freely. They also cover a large area for maximum protection.
- Versatile pads that can be worn to protect the knee, shin or elbow.
- Closed cell foam to absorb shock.
- Low profile design that doesn’t restrict your movement.
- Don’t move as you pedal.
- Available in various sizes and colors.
- Moisture management technology to keep them dry and odor-free.
- They tend to run small.
How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads?
Any knee injury will not only affect your current mountain biking adventure. It might have a negative impact on your ability to go mountain biking in the future.
This is why there are a few features that you need to pay attention to when you are shopping for the best mountain bike knee pad:
The front of your knee pad could be made of fabric, plastic or even leather. Each material has its advantages and disadvantages. Fabric gives a more fitted fit that will allow you to move your knees comfortably. Nevertheless, it is not the most protective material.
Leather provides more protection from sharp objects but usually gets too hot. If the front part is made of plastic, your knee pad might be a little bulky. But it will provide the greatest degree of protection in case of an accident.
Your choice should be based on the nature of the trails you usually explore and your style as a mountain biker. If you are not into very challenging trails, then a bulky knee pad might be too much for you.
The main purpose of your knee pad is to protect your knee joint from the impact. Knee pads come in different shapes and offer different degrees of protection. Depending on the nature of your rides and trails, you can pick the right degree of padding.
Foam padding is usually hard enough to absorb shock in case you fall off your MTB. However, because it is stiff, it might easily shift inside your knee pad if you fall down. Soft gel is softer and adequately adjusts to the way your knee moves and bends, thus providing more protection.
This is a huge issue when you are shopping for protective gear. If your knee pad is too loose, it might slip off or move. This makes it useless in case of an accident. If your knee pad is too tight, it might damage your knees in the long as it restricts the blood flow.
Pay attention to the size chart and make sure that you are picking the perfect size. If your knee pad comes in one universal size, you need to make sure that you are able to adjust it for the perfect fit.
The inner lining of your knee pad should be breathable. This guarantees that your knee will always be dry because the inner lining allows for better ventilation.
If your knee pad lacks this option it might be very uncomfortable to wear, especially if you tend to go on long rides. Make sure that your knee pad is designed to provide better ventilation from the back and the front to keep your skin healthy.
Riding your mountain bike is a fun experience that you can make better by wearing the right protective gear. The Best Mountain Bike Knee Pads will protect your knees in case you accidentally off your bike, keeping your knees healthy in the long run.
Whether you are an amateur or an avid mountain biker, you need to make sure that you are shielding your knees using reliable pads that won’t restrict the movement. Pay attention to the product you pick, as it will have a great impact on the quality of your ride.