Best Sunglasses (Review & Buying Guide) for Mountain Biking in 2019
There are a lot of reasons why you would need the sunglasses for mountain biking other than looking sexy on the trail. Mountain biking is a tough activity where you explore rough terrains. You will never be able to know what is going to hit you or come your way.
For starters, all the gravel and sand can get into your eyes. A good pair of sunglasses will help protect your eyes. Moreover, they will provide better visibility in spite of the glare from the sunlight.
- List of Best Sunglasses for Mountain Biking
- Review of top 10 Sunglasses for Mountain Bikers
- 1. Oakley Men’s Jawbreaker OO9290 Shield Sunglasses
- 2. Tifosi Slip Wrap Sunglasses
- 3. Oakley Mens OO9290 Jawbreaker PRIZM Sport Sunglasses
- 4. Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 XL Polarized Sunglasses
- 5. Tifosi Dolomite 2.0 1020502855 Polarized Wrap Sunglasses
- 6. Oakley Men’s Radar OO9211-07 Shield Sunglasses
- 7. Tifosi Tyrant 2.0 1120306430 Dual Lens Sunglasses
- 8. RIVBOS 805 POLARIZED Sports Sunglasses Glasses
- 9. Duco Men’s Sports Style Polarized Sunglasses Driver Glasses
- 10. JiMarti JM01 Sunglasses for Golf, Fishing, Cycling
- Buying Guide For Mountain Biking Sunglasses
List of Best Sunglasses for Mountain Biking
- Oakley Men’s Jawbreaker OO9290 Shield Sunglasses
- Tifosi Slip Wrap Sunglasses
- Oakley Mens OO9290 Jawbreaker PRIZM Sport Sunglasses
- Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 XL Polarized Sunglasses
- Tifosi Dolomite 2.0 1020502855 Polarized Wrap Sunglasses
- Oakley Men’s Radar OO9211-07 Shield Sunglasses
- Tifosi Tyrant 2.0 1120306430 Dual Lens Sunglasses
- RIVBOS 805 POLARIZED Sports Sunglasses Glasses
- Duco Men’s Sports Style Polarized Sunglasses Driver Glasses
- JiMarti JM01 Sunglasses for Golf, Fishing, Cycling
Sunglasses provide protection against unseen tree branches, wind and dirt. They will help you focus on the trail ahead of you so that you can ride faster and safer.
In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about the best sunglasses for mountain bikers. You will be able to pick the right pair to guarantee more fun on your MTB.
Review of top 10 Sunglasses for Mountain Bikers
The eyewear market is a vast one. Finding the perfect pair of sunglasses for MTB enthusiasts is not the easiest task. But we are here to facilitate your job. In this section, you will find detailed reviews about the best goggles for mountain biking to help you pick the perfect pair.
1. Oakley Men’s Jawbreaker OO9290 Shield Sunglasses
Just looking at the brand name tells you that you are in for a great product. These are excellent lightweight plastic sunglasses that will feel comfortable to wear all day long.
As you sweat on your MTB, you will not feel any kind of discomfort that you might feel with heavier metal frames. They’re especially designed to provide protection while allowing you to keep your eye on the road.
These sunglasses feature polarized lenses. They are covered in special coating that will reduce the glare thus allowing you to see every single detail.
This is very important when you are on a challenging mountain biking trail since you want to keep your eye on the road regardless of how bright the light is. The big lens size will also provide better protection to make sure that no gravel or pebble will hit you as you rush along your path.
The design of the lens allows for better airflow. You will not feel overheated or have drops of sweat running down your forehead. The sunglasses sit high on your face so they will not disturb the field of view when you are going down the trail. Moreover, they will not fall off your face easily.
- Lightweight plastic frame.
- Polarized lenses to reduce glare.
- Big lenses to provide better protection.
- Better airflow.
- Sit high on the face.
- They can be too big if you have a small face.
2. Tifosi Slip Wrap Sunglasses
You’ll never know how much you need the best mountain bike glasses until you’ve tried a good pair on. These affordable sunglasses are perfect for cyclists who don’t want to break the bank.
They are very well made and designed to last for long. It is actually very difficult to set them apart from other more expensive models. This is definitely a big plus if you want to feel and look cool. These are very lightweight durable sunglasses.
What we particularly love about these glasses is that they will give you a wide field of view. You need to make sure that you are able to see all the details on the trail to avoid accidents.
The high-quality lenses provide clear and distortion free images. The frame will never slide off your face while going fast on your MTB thanks to the adjustable rubber and the nose piece. The goggles are designed to fit different face shapes and sizes.
Whatever your choice is, you will definitely find something that will suit you. You can choose between the pearl and the black frames. Both come with different lens colors for various riding situations.
The Clear lenses are perfect to provide protection when you are riding at night; Smoke shade is perfect for sunny days while AC Red is the one you need for cloudy weather. All the lenses are made to protect your eyes against the harmful UV rays. They also feature a reflective coating that will reduce eye fatigue and glare.
- Lightweight and durable sunglasses.
- Adjustable rubber pieces to keep them in place.
- Different lens colors for various light conditions.
- Big lenses for a wide field of view.
- Special coating to protect from UVA and UVB.
- Lenses are not polarized.
3. Oakley Mens OO9290 Jawbreaker PRIZM Sport Sunglasses
One of the perks of buying high-quality sunglasses is to know that your eyes are perfectly protected. These wonderful sunglasses come with big lenses that will provide 100% UV protection, in addition to acting as a shield.
When you are on your MTB, you might be hit by small particles of sand or gravel. The lenses are big enough to cover all your eye area without making you feel restricted or uncomfortable.
Although the lenses are not polarized, these glasses come with a protective coating to reduce glare. Your eyes will be more comfortable after a long day in direct sunlight.
They are lightweight so you will not feel them on your face after a long day on the trail. The best thing about the prism lenses is that they work perfectly whether it is overcast or sunny.
A lot of people love the quality of the plastic frame. It is made of high-quality material that will not cause any discomfort as it gets in contact with your skin. Moreover, it is highly durable, so you will not have to worry about your sunglasses getting bent or scratched.
- Durable lightweight plastic frame.
- Great airflow for maximum comfort.
- Big lenses to provide protection.
- Coating to reduce glare and provide better visibility in different light conditions.
- Non-polarized lenses.
- Due to the design of the frame, there is a tiny blind spot when you are trying to see the cars behind you.
4. Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 XL Polarized Sunglasses
These glasses provide the best combination of protection, functionality and comfort. They are lightweight and comfortable to wear all day long.
The frame is made of O-Matter that will stay in place even when your face is covered in sweat as you go beyond the limits on your bike. In fact, you will see that they are designed for maximum grip. Due to the three point fit, these sunglasses will not move during the day. They will stay perfectly aligned with your eyes all day for precise vision.
The sunglasses come with amazing polarized interchangeable lenses that will provide great visibility in different light conditions. They are impact resistant and designed to optimize performance regardless of the surrounding conditions.
Say goodbye to distortion and glare with these sunglasses. They combine the latest and most innovative optic technologies to give you detailed and precise images all day long. They will filter UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light to protect your eyes on the long run.
Don’t worry about your sunglasses getting scratched or broken. These are not flimsy and will withstand harsh conditions on the trail. They will look perfect even with high speed impact like when small particles find their way towards your face.
- Durable O-Matter frame that will stay in place all day long.
- 3 point fit for maximum grip.
- Polarized high-quality lenses.
- 100% UVA, UVB and UVC filter.
- Impact resistance.
- They might not be too comfortable if you have a big face.
5. Tifosi Dolomite 2.0 1020502855 Polarized Wrap Sunglasses
These are the perfect sunglasses for mountain biking enthusiasts who don’t want to break the bank. They are very well made, yet will not cost a fortune and will actually last a long time.
These are made of homopolyamide nylon that will not get affected by different weather conditions. In fact, you will be surprised at how easily they can bend to frame your face comfortably. They will literally feel weightless even when you wear them for long hours.
What we specifically like about these sunglasses is that they will not get affected by the UV damage. They feature rubber ear and noise pieces that are super comfy. They will not rub against your skin or cause any skin rash.
The Extreme Contrast technology in the polarized lenses will provide more detailed images and reduce distortion. Blue light spectrum is the cause behind image blurring and decreased contrast.
The lenses will increase the contrast to provide a better image regardless of the weather condition. They are great value for the money.
- Lightweight resistant plastic frame that will not bother you on the trail.
- Flexible frame to perfectly fit your face.
- Polarized lenses with perfect UV and blue light filter.
- Enhanced visibility under various light conditions.
- They might feel too tight if you have a big face.
6. Oakley Men’s Radar OO9211-07 Shield Sunglasses
These sunglasses combine functionality with style. They feature bigger and taller lenses that will provide a bigger field of view when you are on your MTB.
The plastic lenses are treated to provide maximum protection from the harmful UV rays. As a result, your eyes will be more comfortable and you will experience less eye fatigue. This will reduce distortion and will allow you to see more details better and easier.
The O-Matter frame is lightweight yet durable. You will not feel like you have an extra weight sitting on top of your nose. Yet, you will be happy to know that your frame will not likely break regardless of the amount of abuse.
These sunglasses will stay in place even when you wear them all day long. They are very comfortable to wear and are designed to provide maximum protection against flying particles and harmful sunrays.
You will never have strained eyes at the end of the day, even if you spend long hours in bright sunlight.
- Bigger lenses to provide better and bigger field of view.
- Protection against UV rays.
- Less glare and reduced eye fatigue.
- Comfortable O-Matter frame that will stay in place all day long.
- Lightweight yet durable design.
- They tend to scratch rather easily.
- They don’t feature polarized lenses.
7. Tifosi Tyrant 2.0 1120306430 Dual Lens Sunglasses
You don’t have to go bankrupt to buy the best mountain bike shades. In fact, in spite of the low price tag, these glasses will not disappoint you. The frame is made of Grilamid TR-90 nylon.
This is very lightweight but will not break or scratch. Moreover, it will not slide off your face when you are sweating on the trail. We love how these sunglasses sit and stay on your face regardless of how fast you go on your mountain bike.
The polycarbonate lenses are durable and sturdy. They will not break if flying particles hit them like other flimsy models. Moreover, they will allow you to keep your eyes wide open opposite to the rough obstacles that come your way.
The lenses are not polarized. Nevertheless, they are covered in a protective coating the will filter harmful UV rays. On the long run, these rays will tire your eyes, reducing the visibility.
However, when you wear these amazing sunglasses all day long, your eyes will stay in perfect condition allowing you to see even the minor details with no problem whatsoever. Each pair of sunglasses will come with 3 sets of lenses that you can easily change. These will make them the best to wear in sunny or overcast conditions.
- High-quality nylon frame that will handle abuse.
- Will stay in place even after a long day on the trail.
- Sturdy lenses with UV protective coating.
- 3 sets of lenses for various light conditions.
- They tend to sit a little bit far from your nose.
- The shape of the case is not the best to store your extra lenses.
8. RIVBOS 805 POLARIZED Sports Sunglasses Glasses
These are by far the best MTB sunglasses if you are tight on cash. In fact, they cost as little as half of some other models on the market. Nevertheless, each pair comes with 5 sets of lenses that will suit every light condition you can think of.
The black lenses are polarized to reduce glare and provide clearer images. They will work perfectly to eliminate scattered light to make the image clear and soft. They even come with night vision lenses and specific ones that will protect against wind when you are going at top speed.
The TR 90 frame is more lightweight and durable than plastic. This is a polymer material with memory for maximum flexibility. This means that you will be able to wear your glasses for long periods without feeling any degree of discomfort.
Moreover, the frame will allow you to switch lenses easily giving you extra time to focus on the trail ahead of you. They also come with a headwrap to keep them in place all day long.
The polycarbonate lenses are scratch and impact resistant. They are almost unbreakable. These sunglasses are superlight yet are very stylish. They will allow you to feel and look cool when you are on your mountain bike. They are definitely the best value for the money.
- TR 90 lightweight and durable frame.
- Affordable price.
- Maximum flexibility that will allow you to wear them for long hours.
- 5 pairs of lenses for different light conditions.
- Impact and scratch resistant lenses.
- You need to be careful about removing and installing new lenses. Otherwise, the nose clip might get too loose and lenses might not be secured in place.
9. Duco Men’s Sports Style Polarized Sunglasses Driver Glasses
When you are going on your bike, you want to make sure that your eyes are perfectly protected. You also want to be able to see every single detail with no distortion. This is exactly what these glasses promise to deliver and they never fail to live up to the claims.
Although these sunglasses don’t cost much, they will do exactly what they are designed to do. The TAC polarized lenses are covered withUV400 coating that will block 100% of the harmful UV rays that will cause glare and distort images.
In fact, they restore vivid colors without the fatigue that naturally occurs when you spend too much time in bright light. The lenses are made to eliminate reflected light and are also scratch and impact resistant.
These sunglasses feature a lightweight metal alloy frame. However, it is safe to say that they are unbreakable. They only weigh 25 grams. This weight is almost undetectable on your face.
You will be able to wear them for long without feeling any kind of discomfort. Moreover, they will stay where they are supposed to regardless of what you are doing. You will be able to adjust the nose pad and the temples to better suit the size of your face.
- Lightweight metal alloy frame that weighs only 25 grams.
- Double coated polarized lenses to reduce glare.
- Unbreakable frame with anti-scratch lenses.
- Reduce distortion and glare.
- Paint tends to rub off the ends.
10. JiMarti JM01 Sunglasses for Golf, Fishing, Cycling
Durability and functionality are of great importance when you are exploring rough terrains. Going on a mountain bike is definitely a challenge and you need to pack sturdy gear to withstand the tough conditions.
These sunglasses feature a sturdy TR 90 frame. Weighing only 60 grams, you will not feel any discomfort when you wear them for long hours. You will barely feel them on your face. At the same time the frame is very flexible to suit your face shape.
The mirror lenses are covered with UV400 coating. This will filter all the harmful UV rays to make sure that your eyes are comfortable after a long day on your mountain bike. In other words, you will be able to see every single detail thanks to the great visibility these amazing sunglasses provide.
Accidents happen. Although the sunglasses are almost unbreakable, it is good to know that your face and eyes will be always protected even if they do, because they are shatterproof.
When you wear these sunglasses, you will be able to see the true vivid colors minus the glare. They are great value for money and will protect your eyes from the UV rays damage. You will be able to see the challenging trail ahead of you while riding in style.
- TR 90 frame with memory for a comfortable and flexible fit.
- Lightweight sunglasses that you can barely feel.
- Shatterproof frame and lenses.
- UV400 coating to protect from UV damage.
- Reduced glare and distortion.
- Rubber of the nose piece tends to fall off easily.
Buying Guide For Mountain Biking Sunglasses
We know that you want to buy the best sunglasses for mountain biking that will last for long. However, the buying process can be a bit overwhelming due the big number of products available.
In this section, you will find some information about the most important factors to consider when you are shopping for the perfect pair of goggles for your upcoming MTB adventure.
The most important thing to consider is to pick a frame that is lightweight. You don’t want to feel that you are wearing a heavy pair of sunglasses that will cause discomfort when you are trying to go at maximum speed. At the same time, you want to make sure that the frame is not flimsy to withstand harsh conditions.
Mountain biking is a tough activity. Chances are that you will probably get sweating hard as you ride fiercely on your MTB. This is why you need to make sure that your sunglasses will not slide off your face and will stay in place. Choose a flexible frame that will perfectly hug your face without feeling too tight or restricting.
Remember that you will probably wear your sunglasses for long hours. So you need to make sure that they will not rub against your skin or cause any kind of rash or blisters. Choose a high-quality safe material that will not react with your sweat or cause breakouts even if you have to wear your bike goggles all day long.
c) UV Protection
The quality of the lenses on your mountain bike sunglasses can make all the difference. Polarized lenses will provide better visibility as you go on the rough trail. They will help eliminate reflected light and restore vivid colors.
This means that you will be able to see all sorts of details with no problem whatsoever. Moreover, they will reduce eye fatigue that results from spending too much time in bright light.
It is a good idea to invest in a pair that comes with interchangeable lenses. You don’t just need your sunglasses in sunny and bright conditions. They should also cover your eyes whether it is cloudy or windy.
This will help you stay focused on the trail regardless of the condition of your surroundings. You will not have to take off your glasses in low light to see clearly. They can stay on your face to protect against flying particles and wind while providing better visibility.
If you opt for sunglasses that come with extra lenses, make sure that you follow the instructions to replace them. This will help you maintain and use them for a long period.
e) Field of View
Remember that you need your sunglasses to protect your eyes while allowing you to see everything clearly. Make sure that your lenses will sit where they will provide the needed field of view. You will be able to see various objects and details on the trail in addition to other cyclists and drivers.
Although finding the right mountain bike eye wear might initially seem like a difficult task, we proudly know that our detailed mountain bike glass reviews make the job so much easier.
You need to be specific about the features you are looking for as they will allow you to pick the most suitable pair. With the right eye protection and your strong spirit of adventure, nothing can go wrong.